Poker is a card game involving skill and chance. The excitement escalates as each player bets or stakes against each other. The prospects of winning are equally favorable to all the participants, but it is not easy as it looks. It is often considered as a man’s game (just like most other games and activities) but these ladies in professional poker are here to prove everybody wrong! Not only have they won big, but they have also managed to shatter stereotypes around the world by defeating their male opponents. Let’s take a look at some of the best female sharks of 2016-
- Vanessa Selbst ($11.8 million): An American who is number one in the world right now and the ONLY woman to have ever reached the number 1 ranking on the Global Poker Index. She plays under the username ‘V. Selbst’.
- Kathy Liebert ($6.1 million): was born in Nashville, Tennessee and started her poker career on a large scale in 2002. Her favorite style of poker is Texas Hold ‘Em.
- Annie Duke ($4.2 million): She held a gold bracelet from the World Series of Poker and was the leading winner among women until she was beaten by current world #1 Vanessa Selbst.
- Annette Obrestad ($3.9 million): A Norwegian professional poker player who rose to fame by being the youngest person to win the European World Series of Poker bracelet in 2007 (she was 19 at the time).
- Vanessa Rousso ($3.5 million): She is an American poker player who started her poker career in 2006. She is a pro-gambling activist and appears on the reality television series from time to time.
- Liv Boeree ($ 3.15 million): is a British poker player who is also a TV presenter and a model. She has studied astrophysics and was ranked the #1 female player by the Global Poker Index until November 2015.
- Joanne Liu ‘JJ’ ($3.09 million): She was born in Taiwan and moved to the United States when she was pursuing her master’s degree in Computer Engineering. It was here when she fell in love with Poker.
- Jennifer Harman ($2.7 million): has won two World Series of Poker bracelets in open events, and is only one of the three women to have ever done so. She won her first bracelet back in 2000.
- Victoria Coren Mitchell ($2.4 million): She enjoys playing Texas Hold ‘Em Poker and has earned over 2 million USD in poker tournaments.
- Maria Ho ($2.08 million): She is a Taiwanese American poker player, a television personality as well as a host. Her most recent win was a cash prize of $21,574 at a No Limit Hold ‘Em event held in South Africa.
The ranking doesn't include results from daily, weekly or monthly events.