Know How You Can Avoid Being A Victim of Angle Shooting!
Angle Shooting is making use of unethical tactics and intentionally deceiving usually novice opponents to excel in a game of Poker. Technically, it cannot be called cheating because the legitimacy of angle shooting is ambiguous, but in spirit it is cheating. It’s against the conduct of the game because it influences an opponent’s action and gains more information from an opponent while a hand is being played to assess the strength of one’s hand.
To ensure that angle shooting isn’t practiced during a game, several casinos, live card-rooms, etc., have set strict house rules. Even after that, players still try to push and bend the rules to win a game unfairly. Let’s take a look at a few instances of angle shooting in live Poker.
The lack of clarity and ambiguity in a player’s actions makes it possible in live poker for angle shooting to take place. Enlisted below are the different angle shoots in live poker:
- Being ambiguous with the checking motion due to multiple options being accepted as ‘check’. Making a small motion which causes the poker dealer to think the player has checked and then denying it is one example of angle shoot.
- Putting out incomplete bets and suggesting that bet wasn’t completed so that it isn’t counted as a binding call. To combat these, Casinos have set the following rules in place:
- It’s mandatory to make a complete call as soon as a chip is put forth,
- Incomplete call money to be left in the pot and the player to fold or he/she will have to complete the call for the entire amount to continue playing.
Acting out of turn, berating opponents, peeping, hiding larger denomination of chips are a few more examples.
Online Poker and Angle Shooting
- Disconnecting the internet until the hand is over is a common practice of angle shooting. However, online Poker platforms continue to play the hand and puts the additional bets into a side pot, considering the disconnected player all-in. Still, angle shooters plead to be excused. To reduce such cases, websites have allowed only X number of minutes as part of the disconnect protection protocol per day while some have completely eliminated the feature.
- Exiting the table after a big win to protect the winnings and re-joining the same table with limited number of chips.
If you happen to be a victim of angle shooting, you can confront the player or bring it to the dealer’s attention. Being clear with your action is the only thing that can help you not being counted in the league of angle shooters and earn others’ respect, if not money.