As we all now, Poker games is a game of skill and there is no set formula to become a master poker player. However, with a few tips and tricks, you can indeed change the game in your favour. You can do this by mastering the art of manipulation which can help you in winning more pots irrespective of the cards you have in your hands. Floating the flop is a move that turns the tables against your opponent by spinning his/her continuation bets to their disadvantage. It is a bluffing technique that needs to be perfected before you attempt it for some obvious reasons.
It is commonly used in every form of Texas Hold’em and considered as an influential poker move. Look out for any weakness by calling your opponent’s bets on a flop with a confidence and make the situation favorable for you. You should have all the vivacious information before you make this move as some players can also fake control of a variety of hands and involves in persistence bets. Seeing that you are liberally calling his bets when you take away the pot from him/her on the turn or river, he may be less inclined to fire continuation bets.
What it simply means?
When an opponent checks on the turn, you make a move that calls a bet on the flop with the only intention of betting with the pot in mind. The biggest benefit of Floating is that you can take a note of what your opponent does in the next round of betting; you can release if he bets and you can attack if he checks. But you also need to remember that if your opponent becomes aware that you are betting most turns that he checks, then he might begin defending himself against the float. So, utilize it smartly with moderation.
What to remember?
- It is most effective in heads-up pots
- You should be in position before you attempt this move
- It never works against a loose or a passive calling action
- Floating the flop and bluffing the turn will typically be more effective than floating the turn and bluffing the river
- Check for your opponent’s flop continuation bet statistics if you are anticipating it in an online game
- Make sure that your opponent holds better cards than you do
- Attempt this only with tight and aggressive players as they are the only one who constantly indulge in continuation betting and preflop raising