Tips For Poker Players-
People have varied opinions about how to play most strategically when you are competing opponents at the felt. But ironically strategies are not very well defined in the game of poker. An individual needs to use his presence of mind and act accordingly. But yes, there are few tips that work as life-saver at the felt. Though they sound very basic and insignificant, they support your strategies at the felt, ensuring that you sweep the pot at the end. All these tips that I am going to give you today are directly from the horse’s mouth. The top-notch poker players religiously abide by these and the results are before you through the live coverage of any on-going poker tournament. Following are the tips that you should embed in your mind for the rest of your poker career:
1) Avoid using alcohol or marijuana: Alcohol is very harmful while you are at your game. Alcohol consists of chemicals that tamper with your mental stability temporarily and take your senses away. Few people become too relaxed after drinking while others take up a lot of stress, both of which can affect your game in two different ways. Though some people claim that smoking up cannabis increases concentration manifold and gives clarity to your thoughts, but for most of the people it can work other way. So, if you are not into cannabis very much or are unsure about your physical repercussions after the intake of cannabis, avoid it to be on a safer side. Remember, fresh mind is hundred times better than an unsure, intoxicated and calm mind.
2) Do not be impulsive: sometimes, your gut feelings work wonders for your but most of the time, it’s your excitement that influences you under the garb of instincts. So, gauge well before you take a decision. Remember, it is no shame to avoid raise or re-raise and simply check and call at the felt. Realise that, the check and call act is a mandatory part of the game. Aggressive and impulsive players only lose a lot of money because such players get easily identified at the felt and opponents take advantage of the situation.
3) You mind should remain icy-cold at all times: Anger is Satan and ungodly. Any work gets totally ruined when anger grips over the doer. So keep your calm even if you find yourself low on stacks or very close to elimination. Take a break if you need to, get some fresh air, get clarity on your strategies, introspect your game and come back like a boss to win back all that you have lost. In case of the other way round, you will end up making yourself angrier because all this will lead to complete loss of money and as a result self confidence.
4) Eat carefully: people have different eating habits and all those who survive on junk mostly might not agree but they do feel a kind of restlessness after every heavy meal because the oil and fried doesn’t really digest fast. So, learn to eat healthy and light food that doesn’t require extra energy for digestion and keeps you full for longer periods. Remember, productivity decreases manifold when you are hungry.
5) Sleep well: it is very important that you sleep well right before you participate in any game. But sleeping well doesn’t mean over-sleeping because the latter usually keeps you drowsy throughout. Sleep for adequate hours to freshen up your mind and give your best performance at the felt.
These are the 5 tips that are followed by the majority of the successful poker players of the world. Develop these habits and see yourself climbing up the ladder of success in no time.
Concentration is something that is important in all spheres of life, especially while playing poker. It is a rare and remarkable quality of any successful poker player. How many times have you found yourself staring at the wall for no reason, while you initially sat down to play poker? Plenty! Right? There are times, when you despite your best intentions, just can't concentrate. Your mind loves freedom and constantly wanders in all directions, driving you away from your game.
Concentration is very important to win an online poker game and hence you need a very high level of concentration. Concentration depends upon the ability to focus. Even a half hour of focused effort can get more done than an entire day of distraction and multitasking. A high level of concentration is the key to success in practically everything you'll ever do in life.
So here are some tips to get into a state of deep concentration in order to successfully accomplish your games-
1) Fix your priorities
Before you commence with your game, make a list of everything you have to do and prioritize them so that you can have an unoccupied mind. You will be without fear that you'll forget something. Make a list of what is to be done when. For example- Washing dishes at 9, Pending office work at 11 and so on. This won't muddle up your mind and you'll be able to play your game smoothly.
2) Get rid of the distractions
You just placed a bet and then your mobile phone rings. You jump towards it to check the emails, and an hour later, find yourself browsing through social media. This is what the distraction is. In order to concentrate, you need to get rid of all the distractions. So dump all your distractions aside before you sit down to play a game.
3) Fuel your mind
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you skip breakfast, adrenaline will rise, leading to stress. Your breakfast should comprise of carbohydrates, high proteins, and low sugar.
4) Use Caffeine Wisely
Billions of people around the globe start the day with traditional caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee etc. Caffeine can definitely provide you with a temporary energy boost and in turn help you focus and concentrate, but only if it is consumed wisely. So, avoid excessive consumption.
5) Get a good sleep
Take at least six-seven hour rest for relaxation and rejuvenation of your mind. A fresh mind can concentrate more easily.
6) Stay hydrated
Most of us don't pay heed to the need of keeping our bodies hydrated. Dehydration can make us tired, slow, irritable and also sick. When your brain is dehydrated, it cannot function at its best. Thus, staying hydrated can help you stay more concentrated.
7) Take a stroll
Research has shown that regular walking can help you increase your focus and concentration during the day. Thus take out some time from your schedule and take a walk in the fresh air for some time.
8) Make sure you're comfortable
Before you begin with your game, make sure that you are comfortable. Ensure your chair and desk are at the right level for you to play the game comfortably. If you feel uncomfortable due to any factor, you may get irritated and move away.
9) Reward self
Rewarding yourself can be great motivation. Before you start playing, set a target and promise yourself, that if you accomplish, you will reward yourself with something. For example- If you win some amount, you can take a break and grab the ice-cream kept in the fridge!
10) Concentration Exercises
There are some exercises which boost your power of concentration such as looking at a round spot on wall with full attention, fix the gaze on the fingers, concentrate on opening and closing your fist, yoga, self-hypnosis, etc.
You can also keep the TV on with something interesting, but not consuming or listening to music on an iPod to help you get rid of boredom. It can help you in the down time and will also help you keep a track what’s happening at the table.
You know how to play poker and after sitting down at a table, you realize that you know much less than you thought. Whether you are a beginner or a pro, it doesn’t matter, we bring you a few tips to help you become a better poker player and thus make more money wherever you play. It is indeed important to dredge up that what works for one individual might not work for another in poker.
Learn from the pros
Watching the play of pros like Antonio Esfandiari, Daniel Negreanu or Phil Ivey playing cash games and tournament is a great way to learn poker. Take necessary notes, listen to the commentators, analyze the players and watch the videos with a sombre approach. How they used to play in the beginning and how they play now or why they played that specific move will be really helpful to you in learning all the essential tips and tricks of the game.
Read poker books
A full-length book will give you greater insights than watching a 15-minute video. In the recent time, there are so many books available which have been written by online players specifically to provide valuable comprehensions. They have also covered various software used to play online poker games. You can read various free e-books on poker to get started.
Clear all basics
If you need to move forward, you will have to go back to basics and mastering the basics of the game will help not just a beginner but to a pro as well. Basics simply refer to knowing who to bluff, calculating pot odds, knowing your odds to make better hands, when to play tight or lose, and which cards to raise from which position.
The virtual world is filled with so much information on poker via poker blogs, poker forums which are ideal for both beginners and challenging players. They comprise of poker strategies, poker advice, and free games. The best part is that they are free to use and you can indeed learn a lot from them.
Focus on other players
The best thing you can start doing now is to start observing your opponents even when you are not in a hand. Do notice or take note of when they third folds to each re-raise, if they have a tell or if any player raises in a certain position. Getting this information from your opponents will help you in bluff and steal the pot.
It’s ok to leave after the flop
It is sometimes ok to leave after the flop even when you think it’s going your way. The flop could kill you even if you start with a great hand. Some players, especially beginners find it really difficult to fold after the flop. They convince themselves to stay as they have already put money into the pot but this kind of thinking will only cause them to lose a lot of chips.
Poker is a game of luck, psychology, and strategy. You should know how to control your game and know when to quit. Many players make the mistake of playing the game when on tilt and end up losing lots of money. You should prepare yourself that anything can happen in poker and you can suffer bad beats or bad plays just like any other player. Once you realize that you are on tilt or angry, then you should take a break and only come back when you feel better.