Teen Patti is a popular card game famous throughout the entire Indian subcontinent. Also known as Indian Poker, 3 Patti and Flash, it is played on every major occasion in India. The gameis best played among three to six players with a standard deck of 52 cards, excluding the jokers.
Historians believe its rules are similar to the 3-Card Brag, while the game is closely related to 3-card poker. Due to its simple gameplay, it makes for an excellent entertaining game. So, if you are ready, let’s get started with the common terms and other aspects of the Teen Patti Card Game.
Common Terms in Teen Patti Game
In Teen Patti games, Boot is also known as the ante or the entry fee. The boot amount is the minimum amount put on the board at the start of the game. It is deposited by all the players before the dealer distributes the cards.
It refers to the entry fees required to join the game after all the players have deposited the boot amount.
It refers to the player who wagers without viewing his cards. A blind player can only bet twice the blind bet.
Seen Player means the player who wagers after viewing his cards. This player can wager a minimum of twice the blind and a maximum of four times the blind bet.
It refers to the bet that a blind player makes for the following player. It is reduced by half for the following player if the seen player places a bet. However, the wager is equal to or twice the stake amount if the next player is a blind player.
Call & Raise (Chaal)
Call refers to when a player matches the bet of the player before him. On the other hand, Raise is when you increase the bet placed by the player before you.
Sideshow and Compromise
Sideshow is when a seen player wants to compare the cards with the player sitting to his right. For a sideshow, the player must bet equal to or twice the stake amount to request the card's comparison.
However, the previous player can accept or reject the request as per his will. If the previous player accepts the request, then the player with lower-ranking hand folds. It is known as compromise.
Also known as a showdown, a show occurs when all but two players fold their cards. During a show, all players compare their hands and the player with a higher hand wins.
It means that the maximum betting amount is equal to the last wagered amount. Moreover, the maximum betting amount cannot exceed twice the last bet.
It means that the players can raise the stakes to any limit within a certain range. For example: If the spread limit for a game is INR 800, the players can call and raise it to Rs 800.
It means a player can call or raise to any amount since the upper limit in the game is absent.
It means that players can call or raise any amount until the pot limit is reached. When that happens, an automatic showdown occurs. The hands are compared and the player with a higher hand wins the pot money.
How to Play Teen Patti Card Game?
- The game begins with players putting the boot amount at the center of the table.
- The dealer distributes three cards to each player in a clockwise direction and the game is played in this direction as well.
- Each player makes the bet by playing blind or chaal, depending on if they have seen the cards or not.
- The players can raise by betting more than the previous player or call by matching the betting amount. Players have the option to fold in case of a bad hand.
- The Teen Patti game continues until only two players remain on the table or if the pot money reaches the limit. In both cases, a showdown occurs wherein players compare their cards and the card with the highest hand ranking wins.
3 Patti Game Rules
Players must understand and comply with the 3 patti game rules before starting the online game. So without further ado, let's begin:
- The minimum stake amount decided upon before the start of the round determines the minimum bet in the game.
- After each player receives their three cards face down, they can play as a "Seen" or "Blind" player.
- When playing a Teen patti game online, the "show" occurs when only two players remain. Players compare their hands and the hand with the better ranking wins.
- The card ranking is as follows: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, J, Q, K, A. Aces are both high and low while twos are the lowest ranking cards. The goal is to make the best 3-card hand as per the hand ranking of cards in the game.
- During a sideshow, the player who requested it folds if both the players have the same hand. On the contrary, the player sitting on the left continues the bet if the previous player rejects it.
3 Patti Card Game Hand Rankings
Now that we know about the Teen patti rules, let's learn about the hand rankings of cards in the 3 Patti game. Their ranking from highest to lowest is as follows:
Also known as Three-of-a-kind, it is the highest hand ranking in the Teen Patti game. On this hand, a player receives all three cards of the same rank.
Example: A♣, A♠, A ♥ is the highest trail and the strongest hand in Teen Patti.
Also known as Straight Flush, this hand is formed of three consecutive cards of the same suit.
Example: A♠, K♠, Q♠
This hand is also known as Straight. On this hand, all three cards are in sequential order but are of different suits.
Example: A♦, K♠, Q♥
Note: In Three-patti hand ranking, A-K-Q has the highest rank in sequence & pure sequence (run). On the other hand, 2-3-4 ranks the lowest.
Also known as Flush, this hand is formed of any three cards of the same suit.
Example: A♦, 2♦, 4♦
Two out of three cards of the same rank makes a pair in Teen Patti.
Example: 8♦, 8♠, 9♠
This is the lowest-ranking hand. It takes place when a player does not have a pair, flush, sequence, pure sequence or trail.
Teen Patti Game Variations
- Best of Four
- Wild Draw
- Low Wild
- High Wild
- Two-Lowest Wild
Teen Patti Gameplay Strategy
It is important to have a well-planned strategy to win in 3 Patti online card games. Here are a few strategies you must follow to improve your chances of winning the game.
Practice Tight GamePlay
Tight gameplay is the most effective strategy in winning a Teen Patti game. This means you choose only strong hands to play and avoid betting on weak hands.
Begin the Game with Small Bets
If you are new to the Teen Patti card game, you should choose to bet small so that you learn more without stressing about the money. Not to mention, it also increases your odds of making more profit.
Know the Game before Playing
You must learn about the game, its common terms, rules and strategies thoroughly to play a confident game and avoid making errors.
Manage Bankroll Accordingly
Players should set a spending limit on their total bankroll in a session. It prevents you from going bankrupt in case you encounter a big loss.
Maintain Patience at all Costs
One of the best practices to win in Teen Patti card games is to keep your emotions in check at all times. Do not get swayed away by emotions and make unreasonable bets. Avoid chasing losses at all costs.
Practice as Much as You Can
Practice makes one perfect and it is true for every card game. Do remember that your expertise in the game depends on the experience you have.
Teen Patti vs Poker
Both Teen Patti and Poker are excellent card games with apparent similarities. However, the game varies in terms of gameplay and strategy.
Teen Patti and Poker, especially Hold’em, are similar in many ways:
- They are played with a deck of 52 cards.
- They begin with an initial bet and the stakes to be bet in the game are determined before the game begins.
- They end with a showdown, where the player wins by making the best hand.
- All players make similar actions- Call, Raise, and Fold in both games.
- They are both comparing card games where the winner is determined by the strongest hand.
The major differences between Teen Patti and Poker are:
- The biggest difference of all, Teen Patti Card Game online is a luck-based game, while Poker is a game based on skills and strategy.
- The results of the game are based on luck and players have no room to strategize in Teen Patti. Conversely, Poker goes through a series of rounds where several cards are revealed besides one’s hole cards. This creates ample space for strategy and planning on how to play your cards to the best of your ability.
- Teen Patti, as the name suggests, the winner has to make the best 3-card hand. On the other hand, the winner of Poker relies on making the best 5-card hand.
- In the 3 Patti game online, bets become double if the player sees their cards. On the contrary, viewing one’s cards does not make a difference in betting.
To sum up, the Teen Patti game is a card game whose results are determined by pure chance and as such, makes for an entertaining option for get togethers and festival sessions. It's simple gameplay makes it an easy choice for anyone interested in catching a break after a long day. Playing with friends and family and enjoying the thrill while making some quick bucks is what this game is all about. Have fun!
Q. Are 3 Patti and Poker the same?
No, 3 Patti and Poker are not the same games. There are immense differences between them.
- Teen patti is a luck-based game, while Poker is based on skill. As such, to succeed in Poker, you cannot rely on luck alone.
- In Patti, your hand consists of three cards. On the other hand, the hand consists of five-cards in Poker. Therefore, you need to make the best 3 card hand in Teen Patti and best 5 card card hand in Poker.
- The hand rankings are different for both card games. Teen Patti consists of six hand rankings whereas Poker consists of 10 hand rankings.
- The betting rounds for both Teen Patti and Poker differ from one another.
Q. How do you play teen Patti?
The dealer distributes three cards to each player and the game is played in clockwise direction with the player sitting next to the dealer. The player plays chaal if they have seen the dealt cards and blind if they have not seen their cards.
The game continues until only two players remain on the table or the pot limit is reached. Then the hands of the remaining active players are compared and the player with the higher-ranking hand wins the pot.
Q. What is the highest sequence in 3 Patti?
Trail is the highest sequence in 3 Patti. A Trail in 3 Patti occurs when you’ve all three same ranking cards in your hand. Also known as Trio, a Trail of Aces is the highest ranking card in the hand.
Q. How can I show in 3 Patti?
You can show in 3 Patti games only when two players remain on the table. During the show, both the players compare their cards and the hand with the higher-ranking combination wins the game.