Baccarat is a comparing-card game played at casinos or in a fun casino set-up between the players and the banker. It uses eight standard card decks excluding the joker and comprises three outcomes where the player wins, the banker (casino/house/dealer) wins or the game is tied. Players can bet on either of these three outcomes.
Despite being one of the most played games in casinos globally and having immense pop-culture references, the Baccarat game is simple and easy to play. Players find the game exciting, suspenseful and intriguing once they have its hang.
So without any delay, let’s start learning about the various aspects of the game like history, game objectives, rules, gameplay and everything in between.
History of Baccarat Game
Mixed origin theories surround the history of the Baccarat game. Some speculate that the game originated in the 19th century. Others claim that King Charles VIII introduced the game in the 15th century, and it gained popularity in France from Italy.
While the origin theories of the game remain controversial, its popularity and use are well-documented. Historians and card game enthusiasts believe the game was popular among the French nobility since the 19th century.
The Baccarat game witnessed a continuous rise in prominence and soon was played in a luxurious ambience in private gaming rooms in the 1907s. The game reached England and, eventually, America, the land of Dreams, around the same timeline.
The introduction of the Punto banco variation in the mid-20th century is considered one of the turning points in the Baccarat game history. The variation had simplified rules and made it more accessible to a wider audience. Soon enough, it gained traction in casinos worldwide and became the most commonly played Baccarat variation.
The advent of online casinos further skyrocketed its popularity in the late 20th and early 21st century, allowing players to enjoy the game from the comfort of their homes. The journey of a couple of centuries proved worthwhile for the game as it is now widely loved among the elite and high rollers and is synonymous with the elegance and charisma of casino games.
Baccarat Game Objective
The objective of the Baccarat game is to bet on the hand/scenario that will have a total closest to 9 and collect the associated payout. Participants can bet on either the player's hand, the banker's hand, or a tie, after which the dealer deals the cards according to specific rules.
The Baccarat game set-up is pretty standard across the casinos globally to guarantee fair play and a fun gaming experience for all players. It is played on a large table with specific markings and separate seating arrangements for players and the dealer.
The table has three main sections: the player's side, the banker's side, and the tie on which players (participants) place their wager. The dealer then deals the cards from the shoe, a device used to hold the cards, where eight shuffled card decks are placed.
Baccarat Game Rules
Baccarat is a popular card game known for its simple yet captivating rules. They are categorised into basic and third-card rules and are as follows:
- The Baccarat game has five types of bets, the Player’s Bet, Banker’s Bet, Tie Bet, Super Six Bet, and the Pair Bet.
- The dealer plays the first card on the player’s hand and the second card on the banker’s hand.
- In the Baccarat game, Ace is the lowest-ranking card, while 9 is the highest-ranking card. Ace carries one point and the cards 2-9 carry points as per their face value. On the other hand, cards with a value of 10 and the Face Cards are worth 0 points.
- The hand with the total closest to 9 wins the bet/game. If the total points enter a double-digit, then the total points are equal to the value in the unit place.
For instance, the points will be 0 if the total sum is 10; if the total sum is 11, then the total points will be 1; if the total sum is 12, then the total points will be 2, and so on.
- In cases of a tie, neither hand wins or loses. It offers a payout of 8:1 to the bettors who wagered on it.
- The game is majorly dependent on luck. Only one hand, either the Player's hand or Banker’s hand, which is the closest to the value 9 wins the game.
- The dealer draws an additional card if the sum of the totals on the cards of both bets doesn’t add up to 8 or 9.
- Player bets are won when the total card value on the Player box is equal to 8 or 9. The players who bet on this box win this bet as the Player's Hand.
- A Natural nine is when the first two cards in any box add up to a 9. Some of its examples are a combination of an Eight card and an Ace, a Jack and a 9 card, a four and a five card and so on.
- Banker Bets are won when the total of the cards on the Bankers box is equal to 8 or 9. The players who bet on this box win this bet as the Banker’s Hand.
- The payout on winning on the player's bet and the banker’s bet is 1:1, meaning the wager provides even money on the initial bet amount.
- The house takes a 5% commission if the hand of the dealer (banker) wins. If the Banker’s Hand wins with a total sum of 6 points, then the payout on winning is 50% of the initial bet amount. It is known as the super six bets and the payout on winning it is 12:1.
- Pair Bets occur if the first two cards are a pair. It is an optional bet placed alongside the original bet on either the Banker pair or Player pair of cards and offers a payout of 11:1.
Third Card Rules
- The dealer deals the first third card of the game on the Player’s hand. It continues until both hands have two cards. No cards are drawn if the total of the player’s hand is equal to 9 as it wins.
- The third card is drawn when the total of the player's hand is less than 5.
- The banker must draw the third card if the total of his first two cards is 0, 1 or 2 and the player’s third card is of any rank.
- The Banker must draw the third card if their hand total is 3 and the player has a third card of any value except 8.
- The Banker draws the third card if the Banker’s Hand has a total value of 4 and the player’s third card is any except ace, eight, nine, ten or any face card.
- The Banker draws its third card if the total hand's value is 5 and the player's third card is 4, 5, 6, or 7. However, the Banker stands or loses if the Player's third card is a value of 0,1, 2, 3, 8, or 9.
- The banker draws their third card If their hand has a total value of 6 and the player's third card has a value of 6 or 7. The Banker stands (does not draw the card) or loses if the Player's third card is a value of 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, or 9.
- If the total value of the first two cards of the Banker’s Hand is 7, 8 or 9, then the Banker stands or loses.
How to Play Baccarat Game
Baccarat is one of the most popular and profitable casino games globally. Hence, casino gamers should understand the gameplay that can be easily divided into the following basic steps.
- The game begins with the dealer shuffling eight card decks and placing them in the shoe.
- Once all players are seated around the table, they place the bet on either the player’s hand, the banker’s hand or the tie.
- The condition for the bet is which hand will be closest to the total value of 9.
- The dealer or banker draws the cards from the shoe once the bets are placed.
- The first card is drawn for the player’s hand and the second card of the game is drawn for the dealer’s hand. It continues until both the player and dealer hand two cards.
- Both the hands are then compared and the hand with the total value closest to 9 wins the bet with a payout of 1:1. The value of the unit digit considered is equal to the total value of the hand is more than 9.
- The player can also place optional bets if available and allowed alongside the main bet and the dealer (banker) will inform and explain the payout on the optional bets.
- The most important thing about the how-to-play Baccarat game is that the dealer explains every aspect and rule. They do all the calculations from the total value of the hands to the players' payout.
Variants of Baccarat Game
Casino game enthusiasts looking to better their gaming experience. The multiple and exciting Baccarat variants make the casino gaming experience more fun than ever.
The Baccarat game has multiple variants ranging from Mini-Baccarat to Chemin de Fer. Each variant of the game offers new twists on the classic game. Let’s start learning about each of its variants right away.
Punto Banco is played widely in casinos globally and is known as "North American Baccarat." In this game, Punto refers to the Player and Banco refers to the banker and the participants bet on either the player's hand (Punto) or the banker's hand (Banco) and the hand closest to a total of 9 wins the game.
The rules are predetermined, and the players do not influence the drawing of cards as the dealer draws the cards. It is a top pick among players that offers fast-paced gameplay, exciting betting options and an immersive and thrilling casino experience.
Chemin De Fer
Chemin de Fer is a classic and sophisticated variant of the Baccarat game, which originated in France. It is often played in private settings and allows for higher stakes. In this version, players take turns acting as the banker and have the option to draw or stand on the third card.
Experienced players like this variant since it provides the thrill of competing against each other while trying to outsmart the banker. It is the right for players looking for a unique and engaging Baccarat experience.
Banque Baccarat is a captivating variant of the popular card game that adds a unique twist to the traditional gameplay. In this version, the casino (house) takes the banker's role, ensuring stability in card distribution or bet placement in the game.
The difference between Banque Baccarat and other versions is that it uses three card decks rather than the usual eight decks of cards in the game, making it a more dynamic and interactive variant for the players.
The mini Baccarat variant includes only six to eight players instead of 12 to 14 or more in the casino setting. Other than the number of players in the game, the rest of the game aspects remain the same as the game is generally played around the globe.
The EZ Baccarat variation is one of the casino gamer's favourites due to a slight rule modification. This variation eliminates the 5% commission charged on winning the Banker bets.
It happens when the banker's hand wins the wager with a three-card total of seven, also known as the push. This rule makes the game variation a right fit for players of all skills as it adds convenience, ease and a refreshing twist to the game.
Super 6/Punto 2000
The Super 6/Punto 2000 Baccarat game variation deals a payout of 0.5:1. This variation aims to compensate for the slightly higher advantage that the Banker's hand has in the game. Moreover, the payout of this variation takes place if the Banker's hand wins with a total of 6.
While this difference alters the strategy and betting patterns of the game, the overall objective and gameplay remain similar to the traditional Baccarat game.
Tips & Tricks for Baccarat Games
There is no doubt that the Baccarat games majorly depend on luck; however, the game also tests and improves your skills as well. So, learning some tips and tricks will improve the winning chances and help in the game. With that said, let’s start learning about the tips & tricks for Baccarat games.
Avoid the 'Tie' Option
While the Tie bet offers high payouts, it has a higher house edge of 14.4%. It is why the tie bet is always a disadvantage at the outset, and it is best to avoid this bet as it rarely pays off in the long term.
Go with Bankers
The banker (house/dealer) wins most bets in the Baccarat game and therefore, players should wager on them winning the bet. Their wager has a lower house edge making it safe to bet on them. Hence, most players, including seasoned players, choose the banker’s bet.
Players must play the real money Baccarat game only after trying their hands on a few free Baccarat games for free. It is because practice games allow the players to get familiar with the rules, strategies, and game dynamics without any financial risk.
Manage the Bankroll
Bankroll management is critical in real money games, especially casino games. Setting a budget and sticking to it is necessary when playing the Baccarat game.
Moreover, players must avoid chasing losses or increasing their bets when on a losing streak. They must also factor in the strategy of dividing the bankroll into smaller units to control wagering and extend the playing time.
Understand the Odds
Baccarat is a game of chance, and each hand has independent outcomes, but it also has a popular belief of streaks, where players think that certain outcomes are more likely to repeat. However, each hand is independent, and there's no guarantee that the winning or losing streak will continue.
Keep it Simple
Players must stick to the basic bets of a Player or Banker. These bets have the lowest house edge and give the players a better chance of winning.
Furthermore, players must avoid side/optional bets or complex variations that offer higher payouts as they carry higher risks than the fundamental bets.
To sum up, Baccarat is an elegant and thrilling casino game and is among the top picks for casino enthusiasts for centuries. Its simple rules and fast-paced gameplay offers an exciting experience for both beginners and experienced players.
Since it is a centuries-old game with simple rules and fast-paced gameplay, it enjoys worldwide popularity. Moreover, its strategic nature and low-house edge make it a favourite of players looking for a game with favourable odds.
However, players must approach the game after a complete and clear understanding of the rules and strategies and acknowledge the luck factor in the game. It is because players can enjoy the thrill and fun aspect of the game only after doing so.
Now that we have covered all the aspects of the Baccarat game, get ready and start enjoying the game responsibly.
Baccarat Game - FAQs
In a Baccarat online game, a player places a bet on the possible outcome at the Baccarat table. You can bet on a banker win, a player win or a Tie. As per rules of standard Baccarat games, the dealer shuffles the 52 deck cards and deals 2 to the player, 2 to the banker, both face down. When the cards are turned over, each player can act as per the total value of their hand. The goal of the Baccarat online game is to finish with a value corresponding to 9. Therefore, the player closest to that number wins.
No, Baccarat games are purely skill based. It depends on any of the three options you take to place bets on and win as per the possible outcome.
Baccarat online games are games of chance where the deals cards face down to the player and the banker and bets on their cards. The goal is to achieve the number closest to the value of 9. Whosoever does, wins in Baccarat games.
Baccarat games are typically played in live casinos or online casino apps. You place bets on your cards or the bankers and choose from three different options to place your bets on - your own cards, the banker’s or a possible tie. If your card value you bet on is closest to the number 9, you win in the Baccarat online game.